Bits & Bytes
- Misplaced Priorities--According to Toby Stout of Middle Way
House, the city of Bloomington gives $477,000 to animal shelters, while
spending a total of $37,877 on shelters for battered women.
- Oh, no! Free Markets!--The Communication Workers of America's
publication Campus Voice notes "CWA will continue the fight
against privatization wherever the notion rears its ugly head."
- Flattery through imitation?--In a press conference addressing
the latest White House scandal--fund raising--Clinton emulates former
President Ronald Reagan in claiming he "could not recall" whether he made
fund raising calls for the Democratic National Committee from the White
- Leonard to teach Sunday School in H-T?--In response to
a guest column by Congressman John Hostettler, Mike Leonard wrote a
column in the Herald-Times asserting Biblical evidence for
environmentalism. Among others, Leonard quotes a New Testament scholar
interpreting the book of Genesis!
- What about Social Security?--Addressing high parking fees for
low-income University employees, CWA representative Linda Harl notes,
"That's called 'regressive taxation,' and it's a long-established
American principle that regressive income taxes are wrong."